Tuesday 3 November 2009

THE JONESES RECORDS 525

Mrs. R.D. JONES
Jul 55 (BMI clearance on 30th Sept 1955)
45-525-A - I Ain't Got Time
(Jones)   (Starrite BMI)
45-525-B - My Prayer For The Ones I Love
(Jones)   (Starrite BMI)
THE JONESES RECORD 525
Box 743, Bogalusa, LA
I love this record! It’s certainly a primitive recording and the fidelity seems to fluctuate here and there. But the guitar steals the show with some nice chording and fills whilst Mrs Jones sings along pleasantly. I always imagine Mrs Jones sitting at the family piano belting this out in front of the family whilst the marsh mellows toast in the fire. It’s a joyous record - fills this ol’ heart with a little glee. Flipside is an altogether sadder affair, and somebody’s playing an accordian instead of the piano but again, Mrs Jones is in fine vocal form. I can’t pinpoint exactly what it is about this 45, but for me I could listen to it again and again without getting tired of it. (Others I’ve played it to don’t even try to stifle a yawn so maybe it’s just me it effects). Only the large amount of Jonses in the Bogalusa area prevents me from phoning each one up and asking “Excuse me , are you Mrs Jones?” But on somebody else’s dime, I’d certainly give it a go.(MC)
Label Shots: Phil Tricker



No comments:

Post a Comment