Thursday 19 November 2009

ARKANSAS RECORDS 553

ARKANSAS RECORDS 553
Box 336, Judsonia, AR
ALTON GUYON and his Boogie Blues Boys
Apr 56 (BMI clearance on 27th Jul 56)
45-553-A - River Boat Blues
(K Murphy / A Guyon)    (Starrite BMI)
45-553-B - Leave My Baby Alone
(K Murphy / A Guyon)    (Starrite BMI)
Tough as old boots hillbilly bopper, bordering on early rock-a-billy from Alton and his Boogie Blues Boys from Judsonia, Arkansas. According to the excellent sleeve notes by Wayne Russell on the CD listed below, about a year after this disc was pressed, Guyon’s manager sent Starday four more sides for consideration which were (sadly) rejected. Quite why they didn’t press these onto a Starday Custom is anybody’s guess. As an aside, the A side was recorded by Buddy Phillips for the CKM label from Bald Knob, AR, with the flip (Coffee Baby) also written by K Murphy and Alton. I wonder if this track is also one of the remaining unissued sides. Over to you, Ace Records!! By the way, the CD is a “Must Have” in any collection. (MC / Wayne Russell - Starday / Dixie Rockabilly Vol 2 - ACE CDCHD 708).

Below is an email sent to Mark Lee Allen.


Hello Mark,
 
Yes I am relative.  I am his granddaughter.  He had three children with his only wife Matlida B. Guyon.  His oldest daughter passed at 9 years old of cancer.  The other two children-one boy (my dad) and one more girl.  Unfortantely, we do not have any of his records.  We live in south Louisiana and everything was lost due to Hurricane Katrina.  I would love to receive copies of his 45s.  Another thing you may not know is that in the late 80's he had his voicebox removed due to throat cancer.  So, i can barely remember his voice.  The record I purchased from you is a Christmas gift to my dad. He passed away almost 10 years ago. I thought my dad would enjoy hearing his fathers voice again. 
 
My sister who was very envious of the fact that I found this record first went on a mission this weekend to find his other records.  I can ask her if she has found any copies.

Label Shots courtesy of Terry Gordon.


No comments:

Post a Comment