Wednesday 11 November 2009

STARDAY RECORDS 541

JACK MORRIS
Jan 56 (Billboard Rev: 11th Feb 56)
45-541-A - My Pony Wants To Go
(Wes Delroy / Jack Morris) (Opal Music)
45-541-B - Cooing To The Wrong Pigeon
(Jack Morris / Wes Delroy) (Opal Music)
STARDAY RECORDS 541
A great west coast swinger from Morris and his band which (to my ears) sounds like it included Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. The A side is a fast-paced hillbilly bopper with clever, humourous lyrics - the type of song I could imagine Tennessee Ernie Ford covering with great aplomb. 541-B was picked up and recorded by Merrill E Moore on Capitol Records 3311. Jack also turns up on Sage Records from Hollywood, CA (“White Line” / “Stop Teasing me” - SAGE 228, “”Four Wheeled Bungalow” / “Glad I’m Looking Back On You” - SAGE 232). Note that both sides are not published by Starday, Starrite etc. A first!  (MC)
Label Shots: Al Turner



No comments:

Post a Comment